KEM is open to European and non-European students with a BA degree related with film production.
Diplomas in different study areas are accepted for applicants with relevant professional experience in film. In order to guarantee high-quality training, KEM will only enroll a maximum of 4 or 5 students per specialisation
The following requirements must be fulfilled by all applicants:
- Application Form (online and complying with the imposed deadlines, no applications sent by regular mail will be accepted).
- Copy of passport/identification card (This should be an official identification document including a photograph and personal data like first name, surname and date and place of birth. This data should be described in English language -like in passports. We recommend that the expiration date covers the duration of the entire master).
- Recent head-shot photograph.
- Final university diploma from previous degree(s) and it's transcripts of record - BA or Master with minimum National Framework Qualifications level 8 or European Qualifications Framework level 6 - (If in other language than in English, additional officially certified translation into English is obligatory, and it should also contain the University stamp).
- Curriculum vitae (must provide professional qualification(s), experience, pieces of work(s), job(s), task(s), professional skills in film-making).
- Two or three Letters of Recommendation. These do not have to follow a template. The only requirements is that the contact details of the person providing the reference must be clearly typed, must be signed and if possible should contain a business email address and a telephone number.
- Letter of motivation that expresses interest in studying at KEM (max 1000 characters).
- Expectations concerning knowledge to acquire (max 1000 characters).
- Portfolio/ show reel of previous films (Max. 9 min. This portfolio must reflect your area of specialization chosen for the Master course. You should show the film credits and if possible, with English subtitles. Only unlisted link in YouTube or similar.)
- If you are applying for screenwriting, please upload the treatment/outlines - max. 3 pages - and a sample of 10 pages from a screenplay of your most significant work. If filmed, please include it on your portfolio/show-reel.
- Proof of proficiency in the English language - Further requirement listed at the end of the page*
- A residence certificate issued in accordance with the candidate's municipality normal registration rules or, a certificate from the candidate's place of work, study or training issued by the employer or institution in question.
All eligible applicants will be assessed by members of the consortium taking into account the following elements:
- The applicant’s academic quality, judged primarily from the results of prior university studies.
- The applicant’s motivation and justification of the application in relation to prior studies, work experience (if applicable) and future career plans towards the aims of KEM, judged from the CV in combination with the letter of motivation, expectations and portfolio/show reel.
- The applicant’s English language skills, judged from the certificate provided and from the interview.
- Applicants with the highest scores resulting from the application package will be called for a Zoom Interview in date to be settled by the selection committee.
Applicants that does not qualify for the interview will be informed by February.
There’s no possibility for any appeal to the final list of selected applicants, except if based on a specific procedural error by KEM consortium in the application process.
Please read the Selection Criteria as well as the Application Procedure carefully before submitting an appeal.
- Candidates who fail to provide the required documents within the established timeframes should not submit an appeal.
- Candidates who followed the Application Procedure and respected the Deadlines but were denied selection due to unmet Selection Criteria and have reasons to believe that a mistake has been made during the selection procedure have the right to appeal the Selection Board's decision.
Name: Email: Please explain in detail your reason to believe that a mistake has been made:
Make sure to provide a correct e-mail address so that you can receive notifications on the status of your appeal.
You will be contacted as soon as a decision has been made.
* Proof of proficiency in the English language
Providing one of the following English certificates with the minimum scores listed below:
IELTS 6.0 (Exam taken with a maximum of 2 years prior the enrollment with no component less than 6.0; Academic IELTS);
TOEFL Internet Based Test: 80 overall with a minimum of 17 in listening, 18 in reading, 20 in speaking and 17 in writing;
Pearson’s Test of Academic English: 56 overall with a minimum of 51 in each component;
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (formerly Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE)): 169 overall with a minimum of 162 in each component;
Cambridge B2 First (formerly Cambridge English First (FCE)): 169 overall with a minimum of 162 in each component;
Cambridge C1 Advanced (formerly Cambridge English Advanced (CAE)): 169 overall with a minimum of 162 in each component;
Trinity Integrated Skills Test (ISE): ISEII, ISEIII, ISEIV with a pass in each component;
LanguageCert English language qualification: B2 Communicator Test with overall 39 or above, and 25 or above in all skills.
Providing an English-language higher educational diploma at an institute of higher education in one of the Inner Circle countries:
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- New Zealand
- Canada (except Quebec)
- Caribbean Islands
- South Africa
Providing an English-language diploma at an institute of higher education (including statement that the BA study of at least 180 ECTS was conducted in English) and presenting a convincing application for a waiver of the requirement.
If an applicant’s undergraduate degree was fully taught and examined in English and they have graduated within two years of this course start date, they would be exempt from taking an English language test.
We would require a letter confirming their degree was fully taught and examined in English if the degree was not studied in a majority English speaking country.
If accepted into the program students will have to take the IELTS if they didn't take it before, being the exception the degree fully taught in English and being graduated within two years of the course start date.
The European Education and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA), in the context of managing the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees, collects and processes the personal data of some of the candidates. In particular, certain data of the scholarship holders (students and scholars), non-scholarship holders and reserve list candidates is shared with the Agency through the EACEA Mobility Tool and treated according to the following privacy statement.