BFM Film Studio (160 m2; 13.5x11.85x6.5 m) is customised specifically for film production. With a workshop, camera, sound and lighting equipment storerooms as well as make-up, dressing and group rooms, the film studio complex is able to offer a complete service. The film studio can be used for building sets for movies, short films and commercials. The room is also being used as a large TV studio (cabling for 8 cameras). The ceiling of the film studio is equipped with motorised lighting fixtures and there is also cabling for dimmers and DMX control. It is possible to use a black (360 degree), white and green background. The film studio’s lighting equipment, rails and the Panther Pick Up dolly are stored in a secure equipment storeroom. The film studio can also be used for larger official receptions, seminars and training events. It is also possible to use 130 folding chairs and movable tables.
Television studio (106.4 m2, 11.2x9.5x6.5 m) can be used to make professional multi-camera recordings.
Studio is equipped with four 2/3-inch sensor high definition cameras (3x Panasonic AG-HPX600E and 1x Panasonic AJ-PX800GH) with the Volamp Camlinx II fiber optical camera channel and RCP-2050A Control Panel. Cameras have Fujinon ZA12X4.5BRD or ZA17X7.6BRD-S lenses with zoom and focus servo-controls, Swit S-1071HF monitors and Libec studio tripods.
In addition to the studio functionality these cameras can also be used as ENG cameras with 2x 64GB Micro P2 card recording capability in professional 10bit 4:2:2 AVC-Intra 100 Mbps format.
The number of cameras can be upgraded to total 8 using additional Panasonic AJ-PX270 HD-cameras.
In addition three 2/3-inch sensor standard definition Philips LDK100 Triax based cameras (support from Finland’s public broadcasting company YLE) are used for basic training in studio.
Studio lighting is controlled by Avolites Pearl Tiger console. There are 36 channels of 10A dimmers (3x SRS Light Design DDP1210B-8). Standard lighting consists of 40 fixtures: 18x pole operated Ianiro Solaris Fresnels (6x 2kW, 12x 1kW), 6x 2kW Altman Open Face Soft-Lite, 4x Balcar Quadlite 200, 4x Balcar Duolite 100, 2x 1kW Fresnels, 4x 500W Fresnels. For special needs additional lighting from school’s lighting storage can be added.
The studio is equipped with motorized lighting trusses with cabling for dimmers and DMX control. There is a possibility to use black, white and green background curtains.
In Control Room Ross Video Carbonite 2 16-input 2 M/E Live Production Switcher with XPression Prime graphics allow working in high definition (720p/50, 1080i/50, 3G 1080p/50), standard definition 576i/50 and has also the possibility to work with four 4K UHD sources. Newtek Tricaster Broadcast provides portable live streaming capabilities.
HD-SDI signal routing is performed by 40x40 Blackmagic Design Compact Videohub with Master Control and Smart Control panels. Two BlackMagic Design Hyperdeck Studio Pro SSD recorders provide 10bit 4:2:2 recording and playback in industry standard formats Apple ProRes 422 HQ, Avid DNxHD, Uncompressed QuickTime. Recorders have support for 4K UHD and 6G-SDI. Thunderbolt connestion to iMac workstation provide fast access to the central media storage system.
Video monitoring uses two Sony FWDS46H2 multiviewer screens and several 21,5-inch Swit S-1221HS monitors. Signal quality control is maintained using Blackmagic Design SmartScope Duo 4K and near Grade 1 quality 17-inch JVC DT-V17G15 monitor.
Studio intercom system consists of Riedel Performer C44plus System and wireless Clearcom FreeSpeak system. Sound Control Room has Avid S3L System 16 Controller running the Venue software with AAX plugins. It can operate together with the Avid ProTools system providing 64-channel I/O over AVB protocol. Genelec 8030 monitors and 7050 subwoofer provide calibrated stereo monitoring. Various microphones are available for studio and location needs.
Panther Pick Up dolly and rails are stored in a secure equipment storeroom and accessible for studio use. The television studio can also be used for larger official receptions, seminars and training events. It is possible to use 130 folding chairs and movable tables.
The Postproduction Centre has eight editing rooms with Apple MacPro and 27" iMac 5K Retina workstations running Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro software. To guarantee standardised audio monitoring, the sound studios and editing rooms all use Genelec 8030 active speakers. All workstations are connected to a shared network.
- Number of workstations: 8
- All common formats used in the industry are supported
- The editing rooms can be rented together with an editor
- Output master file (Apple ProRes, Avid DNxHD), Blu-ray, DVD, DVCAM, Betacam SP, others
- In co-operation with Estonian Digital Centre, located on the third floor, it is also possible to create 2D/3D DCPs (DVS Clipster), do Arri, Red, Si2k transcoding, and digitise 16/35 mm film (P+S Technik Steadyframe film scanner)
BThe BFM study complex has two sound studios and two sound editing rooms that offer a complete solution, from multi-track recordings and audio editing up to Dolby Surround 7.1 mastering. The sound studio complex was designed taking into account film and TV production audio requirements as well as music production needs.
The sound studios have a trunk cable connection with the film and TV studios on the first floor of the building and also with the Tallinn University ceremonial hall, which gives the option for catering to large scale recordings and live events. It is also possible to use the sound studios for practical workshops.
The first sound studio (54 m2; 212.5 m3; 8.65x6.3x3.9 m) uses Dolby Surround 7.1 compliant monitoring equipment, THX certified Procella Audio monitors (primary monitors P815-FP, subwoofer P18, surround monitors P8), Lab.gruppen amplifiers (C28:4 and C20:8X) and a Biamp Nexia SP processor. The monitoring solution was developed by Anders Uggelberg from Procella Audio in Sweden. The final studio calibration was performed by Mark Kenna from Film Sound Consultant in England.
The Apple MacPro workstation uses the Avid ProTools HDX system with Icon D-Command controller (a total of 40 faders and Surround Panner option) and Avid HD I/O 16x16, two Avid PREs and Avid SYNC HD. It is possible to interconnect with second sound studio equipment (total I/O 32x32 and 32 Avid PRE inputs). The Waves Mercury Native plug-in collection is also installed. The equipment room has a Sony VPLFH30 WUXGA (1920x1200 pixel) video projector.
The second sound studio (19.5 m2; 50.7 m3; 3.9x5.0x2.6 m) and the two sound editing rooms use Avid ProTools HD Native Thunderbolt HD OMNI system with 5.1 Genelec (8030 and 7050) monitoring and Avid Artist Mix and Artist Control surfaces. Second studio has in addition Avid HD I/O 16x16 and two Avid PREs that can be shared with first sound studio.
The studio uses the expansive Sound Ideas sound effects and background audio collection, and there is also the possibility to record Foley sound effects.
- Number of rooms: 2 sound studios and 2 sound editing rooms
- Dolby Surround 7.1 and 5.1 audio monitoring capability
- Avid ProTools HDX and HD Native Thunderbolt workstations
- Site recordings, audio editing
- Complete stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 mastering service
- Complete band, orchestra and choir recording and mastering service
- Dubbing, dialogue recording and ADR, Foley background recording
- Possible to rent the studio together with a sound designer
- Professional stationary audio equipment, optional auxiliary equipment
- The sound studio is suitable for organising practical workshops
- Full-HD video projector Sony VPLFH30 (1920x1200 pixels)
- Readiness for lectures and presentations (computer, Blu-ray player, VGA, HDMI, DVI inputs)
Color Grading Rooms
BFM students have also access to two state of the art colour grading rooms located on the third floor in the Estonian Digital Center premises. Digital Vision Nucoda and Blackmagic Design Davinci Resolve systems are used with grading panels and calibrated projection system.
- In co-operation with Estonian Digital Centre it is also possible to create 2D/3D DCPs (DVS Clipster), do Arri, Red transcoding, and digitise 16/35 mm film (P+S Technik Steadyframe film scanner)
iMac Computer Lab
The 16 seat computer lab uses 21.5” Apple iMac computers (2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 8GB SDRAM). The classroom also has audio monitors, a video projector and a screen, which allows lecturers to present content from their screen to the whole class. All computers are connected to a SAN (Storage Area Network) network drive that enables simultaneous editing of material in the classroom and in the editing rooms and sound studios. Apple Remote Desktop allows remote management of all the computers in the classroom. The computer class meets Apple Authorised Training Centre Education requirements and is also used for various Apple training courses.
Apple iMac computer lab
- Number of seats 16, plus lecturer workstation
- Video projector, screen and speakers
- Installed software: Apple Final Cut Pro X, Final Cut Pro 7, Motion 5, Avid Media Composer, Adobe Creative Cloud, ProTools, DVD Studio Pro, DaVinci Resolve Lite
- Remote management option for classroom computers using Apple Remote Desktop
- Readiness for lectures and presentations (Blu-ray player, VGA, HDMI, DVI inputs)
- Multi-camera recording and Internet live-streaming capability
- Apple Authorised Training Centre
- Ideal venue for Apple hardware and software training courses
- Catering possibilities in the recreational area
The 105 seat “SuperNova” cinema hall is equipped with the modern projection and sound equipment. The cinema hall uses Estonia’s first digital cinema projector with 4K resolution.
The Sony SRX-R515 projector is the first in Estonia capable of projecting a 4K resolution image (4096x2160 pixels) onto the screen. The projector can play back 2K and 4K resolution movies from a DCI compliant DCP copy through the integrated SONY XCT-S10 server. The HDMI input of the projector also accepts images from an Apple iMac computer and Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray player. The use of other formats (HDCAM, Digibeta, Betacam SP, DVCAM, MiniDV, etc.) must be agreed upon in advance.
In addition to the 4K projector, the cinema hall also uses a Sony VPLFH35 WUXGA (1920x1200 pixel) video projector that can be used for lectures and presentations.
The cinema hall uses THX certified Procella Audio monitors (P815-FP, P18, P8), Lab.gruppen amplifiers (C28:4, C20:8X), and Biamp Nexia SP and Dolby CP750 processors for Dolby Surround 7.1 surround sound.
The cinema hall can also be used as auditorium and conference hall. It is possible to use radio microphones and other sound equipment. Events in the hall can be recorded with a multi-camera system and live-streamed over the internet.
The “SuperNova” cinema hall is the venue for the student film festival “Sleepwalkers” and hosts, on a regular basis, movie premieres and meeting nights with authors. The cinema has also launched weekly cinema sessions that offer a top rate movie going experience.
The acoustic design of the cinema hall was made by Akukon Oy. The final adjustments to the sound equipment were made by Anders Uggelberg from Procella Audio from Sweden. The Sony 4K digital projector was set up by Miterassa OÜ and Dietrich Dumke from the Sony Europe office. The cinema hall’s equipment was delivered and installed by OÜ Digital Emotions. The cinema hall was officially opened on 14 April 2013.
- Number of seats 105
- 4K digital cinema projector Sony SRX-R515 (4096x2160 pixels)
- Full-HD video projector Sony VPLFH35 (1920x1200 pixels)
- Dolby Surround 7.1 surround sound system
- Readiness for lectures and presentations (iMac computer, Blu-ray player, VGA, HDMI, DVI inputs)
- Radio microphones and professional sound equipment
- Multi-camera recording and Internet live-streaming capability
- Ideal venue for movie premieres, film festivals and conferences
- Catering possibilities in the recreational area next to the cinema hall